Jackson Allard, a 22-year-old man from North Dakota, just got a double lung transplant after vaping a lot for years. His story is a stark warning of how dangerous vaping can be and how it can hurt your health in the long run.
When Allard first went to the emergency room in October with a stomachache, doctors found that his oxygen levels were too low. He was told he had Influenza 4 and double pneumonia, but his health got worse, so he was moved to the University of Minnesota.
Allard got a double lung transplant on January 1, 2024, and for the next six months he will need to go for regular checkups. After this transplant, he will never be able to smoke or drink again. He will also need another surgery someday.
Allard’s grandma, Doreen Hurlburt, told her that her grandson vaped a lot and thought it was better than smoking. But his smoking habit hurt his lungs so badly that he needed a double lung transplant in the end.
Lung transplants are not very common, and they are even less common for people younger than 50. In 2021, only 440 of the 2,569 lung transplants done in the U.S. were on people ages 18 to 49.
Jackson Allard’s story is not the only one like it. In 2019, another 17-year-old boy in Michigan got a transfer, which is thought to be the first case of its kind.
The US Food and Drug Administration and other health experts all agree that e-cigarettes are not safe. However, some people want the surgeon general to release a report to clear up the issues regarding vaping.
Young people should be aware of the risks of smoking after reading Allard’s story. Doreen Hurlburt, his grandma, hopes that other people will learn from her grandson’s experience and try to live healthier and happier lives.